Re: dell computer construction

On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 10:30:18PM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> The discussion on dell and linux was what prompted me to make that post.
Ah. I was not quite as obvious to me, as it was not part of the same
thread. I´d suggest to add an opening comment next time.
> When I bought this Dell back in August of 1999 the only way Dell would
> install linux was if you were a business.  I got a bad combination of
> win98se and office2000 that crashed the system regularly because
> c:\windows\win386.swp kept getting corrupted.  I found out much later
> after I had gotten Linux talking
Was that with the 'speakup' version of the 2.4 kernel?
> that a single line in autoexec.bat would have solved that problem but
> by then it had been way too many installs and I can assure you
> installing windows 98se using instructions you wrote down on a piece
> of braille paper and listening for the sound of the hard drive no
> longer running to key in the next command is an adventure noone should
> have to live through!
While I have not done all that, I have had to put my ear next to a
computer to make sure that the hard drive was not reading anything while
investigating a problem with software installs.
>   Since I live alone when Windows crashed I had the "pleasure" of
>   reinstalling all of it.  That's why windows nt/2000/xp all have
>   screen narrator on them.
Well that one thing that microsoft did something good :-)
>  I've never tried installing windows with screen narrator so don't
>  know if it'll work.  For those that are interested, at the desktop
>  hit windowskey-u and hit return.
Something to try on my friends computer :-)
>  Your computer will start doing something you didn't know it could do
>  before provided your sound card is working and speakers have enough
>  volume.  Oh by the way, screen reading is especially useful for those
>  people with a.d.h.d.  multitaskers of the first order; you can listen
>  to one document on one computer while looking at another document on
>  a second computer, and here you thought that was just put there for
>  the blind and dyslectics!
I actaully use festival all the time. I have a shell script that uses
xclip and festival in an infinete loop. It reads the clipboard and then
speakis it. I 'snark' a webpage into the clip board and then hear it. I
also have a macro for mutt to pipe the email text to festival so that I
can hear and read the text simultaneously.

Any way, I asked because as a sighted person who uses mutt with threaded
view, your post was not part of a thread and seemed out of place and I
was curious about what you where trying to covey. I always appreciate
reading your posts becuase of your unique perspecitve. Although I too
have used my foot to push the power button on my computer :-)
|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|