Re: Debian User List

Mirko Scurk wrote:
> Joe Hart wrote:
>>
>> David Baron wrote:
>>> Most recently, how much of the heavy traffic on this list has had
>>> anything to
>>> do with Debian? With Linux? With computers?
>>>
>>> The price of bread, love or hate Wallmart or Sponge-Bob, Ubuntu or Dell
>>> (ok U
>>> is a Linux distro and Dell makes computers, but...) Endless threads
>>> filling
>>> my mailbox with irrelevance.
>>>
>>> Its fun to touch these things a bit but I think there are limits :-)
>>>

>> I agree and disagree at the same time.  Some of this off-topic stuff is
>> quite educational, and sometimes quite funny.
>>
>> You don't have to read it you know.  You see an off-topic thread, just
>> delete the whole thread.  Of course, you may have a really slow internet
>> connection and it takes a while for all the "junk" to come in.  In that
>> case I pity you.
>>
>> I think Tyler is right, there should be another list for "debian-help"
>> but I am afraid if that list separates from this one, then a lot of
>> people that could really help people, will not subscribe to it.
>>
>> Think of this like an office, there is business going on, but there is
>> also a lot of talk by the water-cooler.
>>
>> Joe
>
> Think that some of the serious gurus aren't with us anymore. I'm not
> reading  every post but it seems to me that many cries for help are being
> unanswered. Not quite apeeling to newbies as they are being confused with
> such broadness of themes.

Putting this back on the list where it belongs.

That may be true, but the few that do respond know far more than we
noob's do.  It could be that many of them are working on getting Etch
out the door, and don't have time to muddle with this list.  Especially
with the large amount of OT stuff on it.

It could also be that people don't ask the right kind of questions that
interest the guru's.  If you've never read the "How To Ask Proper
Questions", from Eric S. Raymond, then you might want to.  That should
be required reading by everyone before they ask a question.

It would surely cut down on the number of RTFM and STFW responses, which
I have to say don't appear as often as I expected they would.  Still,
most people could find the answers they are looking for with a simple
search.  The problem is some people don't know how to use the search
engines very good.

Learning to use google, or one of the other search engines will help you
far greater than this list will, not to put down the list, but think of
it this way.  If you're having a problem, chances are someone else had
the same problem, and there is already information on the Internet that
pertains to the problem.  Your job is to find it.  If you can't use a
search engine, then it makes it hard to find.

I offer help on this list whenever I can, but I can only tackle the
problems that I have some knowledge of, but I still think pointing
someone to a website is the quickest way to solve a problem, and how do
I find those websites?  Google.

Joe

Nevertheless, this list is a good source of information, and there are
other places as well.
- --