Re: Debian User List

On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 12:04:48AM +0000, s. keeling wrote:
> Greg Folkert <greg@gregfolkert.net>:
> > >
> > > Current levels of posts on forums.debian.net suggest otherwise. (More
> > > questions being asked there than here; generally fewer responses
> > > though.) So do popcon graphs which show a continuing increase in the
> > > number of etch installations.
> >
> >  Okay. So I guess the DU ML should just close up shop and be done with
> >  it.
>
> Nah, the kids these days think MLs are old hat and frumpy compared to
> web forums.  You can't point and click on anything in slrn or mutt.
> The best they can do is googling with "site:lists.debian.org".  Maybe
> with enough of that, they'll begin to wonder what that ML stuff is all
> about, since all the useful answers they get seem to come from there.

Honestly I find mailing lists a lot more usable than forums. I am a
frequenter at forums.debian.net and as nice as having a flashy looking
forum is, I prefer to have all of my messages saved to my hard drive
for archival purposes (I'm one of those people who hates throwing
anything out).

Oh, and I'm only saying this because I'm one of those "kids" you speak
of. Seventeen here, it should be obvious anyway because my English
isn't as good as most of the people on this mailing list (When I
re-read my messages sometimes even I don't understand what I was
trying to say)