Re: slrn crash -- froze everything

Tyler Smith <tyler.smith@mail.mcgill.ca>:
>  A couple weeks ago I had a problem while using slrn, with an error
>  wriitng to file after I tried to exit. The input/output error messages
>  I got suggested a hard drive problem, but that came to nothing. The
>  whole thing was discussed in another thread here.
>
>  A few days ago I tried to start slrn with a different news-server (one
>  which I hadn't yet created a .jnewsrc file for, my mistake). This
>  immediately froze the whole system - no cursor movement, no keyboard
>  shortcuts, no access to a text terminal with C-A-F1. I had to power
>  off to get control back. Unfortunately, I've been working round the
>  clock in the lab, and didn't have time to immediatley sniff around for
>  clues or call for help.
>
>  I properly created the .jnewsrc file, and I haven't had a problem
>  since. However, I'm concerned that I've now had two system-wide
>  crashes while using slrn. I didn't think this sort of thing was
>  possible with Linux. Is it possible for a bug in slrn to crash my
>  whole system? If not, any clues for chasing down the source of these

Not with as little you've told us, sorry.  I've been using slrn since
the mid-'90s, and never saw anything like this.  This is very non-*nix
behaviour.  What is your network connection based on; perhaps a
Winmodem?  Do you use Firefox?  What else can you tell us?  Hardware,
Debian release, ...

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling          Linux Counter #80292
       Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/emails.html