Re: video card / crt monitor problem ?

Andrei Popescu wrote:
Peter Ellison <p.pe@btopenworld.com> wrote:

Hello all

This is a real newbie question and I am now out of my depth.

I have built a system out of my scrap box to experiment with Debian (netinst from testing) using a RIVA TNT2 video card(nv drivers) and Panasync 5G crt.

The relevant part from 'lspci -v' might be necessary if it's not a
config problem.

Using the gui for screen resolution I attempted to change between the offerings ie 1024 x 768 @ 61hz,(would have expected 60hz here)800 x
600 and 640 x 480, no other refresh rates available. If I attempt to
change from 1024 x 768 the screen blanks and returns me to the log in
screen.

What GUI?

I have found reference to the video card in the /var/log/x.org log
and a lot of permutations for display settings which don't seem to
correlate with the crt,s spec of H 30-64 V 50-160.

Do you have these specs in xorg.conf? Run

	dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

IIRC there are three ways to set monitor specs. You might need to
use the 'advanced' method. Also be sure to select (with space-bar)
all resolutions you want to be able to use.

If the reconfiguring fails then you should post the output of lspci
suggested above, your xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log (the log preferably on
some site because it can be quite long).

HTH,
Andrei

The GUI I referred to is gnome, desktop, preferences, screen resolution. Took your advise and attempted to reconfig by running dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg outside of the desktop environment (ctrl alt F1). It stalled at the second screen but I managed to escape out (3 attempts).

I have posted the outputs of lspci, xrg.0.log & xorg.conf to http://www.geocities.com/johndoe_a1/data.txt to try and clarify the matter. Xorg.0.log warns of missing fonts.

Thanks for our help

Peter