Re: Pronunciation of common Linux-related words

On Sat, Mar 31, 2007 at 11:35:03PM -0500, Kent West wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
> > On 03/31/07 23:35, cga2000 wrote:
> > [snip]
> >
> > lawn-guy-land?
> Long Island.
>
> But my question ...
>
> Is / pronounced "root" or "slash", as in "Is the file in slash-root-bin
> or just slash-bin?"

Both - and neither :) It depends on context, ability and experience.

I do some telephone support with a friend who's dyslexic and is a
radio amateur. For him,I have to remember to spell out commands
phonetically - "cat - Charlie Alpha Tango - forward slash etc - Echo
Tango Charlie - forward slash apt Alpha Papa Tango - forward slash
sources.list Sierra Oscar ... " and to tell him to press the
enter/return key at the end of the command. He's very able indeed - but
using a keyboard puts him at a tremendous disadvantage and he is often
unable to read me back precisely what he has typed which means that we
often have to repeat the process two or three times.

Similarly, if I'm sitting with work colleagues and need to tell them
what to do, I'll say "go to root and work forwards from there - cd space
slash and hit return, now type pwd and tell me what prompt you see ... "

Among my relatively few colleagues who know what they're about and
amongst ourselves, slash becomes largely irrelevant - "I grepped for it
in bin, sbin and user sbin but I couldn't find it - then I realised the
*** thing was commercial software and had compiled/built/installed in
opt. Why can't they just build it in usr local?"

Andy