Re: OT: sponge burning!

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 04:11:40PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:

> You can be in favor of a higher minimum wage and still be against increasing
> the number of H1B visas.

Of course you can.  It just makes you a hypocrite.

> Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing H1B and it's
> equivalents abroad eliminated.  Why should governments have much of any
> concern about allowing employment of foreign nationals if unemployment of
> it's own work-capable citizens is greater than zero?

Well, if there is above-zero unemployment (that is, there exists a
surplus of labor supply), and there exists demand (that is, employers
are hiring), then wages will increase until they get people to take the
jobs.  No government intervention needed.

Now, when our broken immigration policy allows criminals to come in with
impunity, work off the books, receive the benefits of social services
paid for by others' taxes yet not pay taxes themselves, we have a
serious problem.  Since those criminals can work for less then a
legitimate tax payer.

The two ways to solve this are to stop the flow and/or implement the
Fair Tax.

Regards,

-Roberto

--