Re: best log checker

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 10:21:37PM -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 08:47:20PM -0500, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> >
> > I do neither perl nor RE: they're both too cryptic.  I guess I'll never
> > be a true *N*X weenie.
> >
> So, you want to be able to parse logs and yet don't want to learn the
> most powerful regex syntax for that?  Do you know that the original
> purpose of Perl was log file parsing?  If I were you, I'd invest in an
> O'Reilly book and spend a few days learning Perl RE syntax.

My python script took an ignore file, lines of strings to ignore.

It took the log file and for each line in the log file, checked for the
ignore strings.  If it didn't find any it included the log line in the
report.

Like I said, brute force.  Hardly elegant but it worked.

I could use RE in python but its still goblygook.  I've tried on several
occasions to learn both RE and perl with no lasting results.  Ditt C.
Give me python and Fortran77.

Doug.