Re: Where did 'locate' go?

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 31, 2007 at 08:27:13AM -0500, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
> On a recently updated testing system, I went to use 'locate' to find
> something, and it's not found.  Is my system somehow hosed or did
> 'locate' get, uh, relocated or something?

>From NEWS.Debian.gz of findutils:
---8><-----------------------------------------------------------------------
findutils (4.2.31-2) unstable; urgency=low

  * locate is no longer included in the findutils package. It has been split
    off to a separate package "locate". (There are alternative implementations
    available, too; see mlocate or slocate.)

 -- Andreas Metzler <ametzler@debian.org>  Sat,  2 Jun 2007 10:53:46 +0200
So you can use either locate, mlocate, slocate ... but you need to
install them as a separate package.

As a hint to consider: If you use testing/unstable you can install
apt-listchanges. See for a description apt-cache show apt-listchanges.
By default it displays a changed NEWS.Debian.gz.

> Patrick

Best regards,
Salvatore