Re: compatibility problems

On Friday December 28 2007 16:48:10 Don Harwood wrote:
> Hi Ron
>
> i hope I'm doing this email thing correctly

So far.  Except that you completely snipped off my reply.  (Not
too much of a big deal.)

> the mill comes with a box pre configured with a built in g-code
> stepper driver to run the 4 axis, Sherline guaranties plug and
> play
>
> its my other new box that worries me,

Your desktop box?

>                                        from what i have been
> able to find out things may not be so easy,  some of this stuff
> is overwhelming maybe i bit off to much

The tenor of your conversation screams "newbie".  Thus, I suggest
that Ubuntu is probably the path to travel, not Debian.  If you
grow in geekiness, then you can wipe out Ubuntu and install
Debian.  (Putting /home in it's own partition is *mandatory*.)

yes !

However, the wireless kb is probably a lost cause.  Not that I'd
use one anyway.  Radiating my passwords and CC numbers isn't what
I consider wise

> what is 801.11g and WPA2,

My mistake.  It's 802.11g.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WPA2

> like i said im not a system manager

I'm not either.  At work I'm a legacy-systems DBA.

> ---- yet
>
> thanks

Sure.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA  USA

yes i am a total newbie to the linux world,  the reason i chose debian is
because the cnc system is debian, after doing some minor research into it i
decided to keep it simple {yeah right}  i will make this work !

thanks for the understanding with us newbies, i will probably drop the
wireless kb, thanks for the heads-up about security