/etc/resolv.conf, /etc/ppp/resolv.conf, dhcp3-server and dnsmasq

Folk,

At Sun, 9 Dec 2007 19:21:13 +0200 Andrei Popescu wrote,
"Maybe dnsmasq is what you need."

Thanks.  dnsmasq can provide dns, dhcp and possibly
even ip masquerading.  I installed dnsmasq and removed
dhcp3-server and ipmasq.

Now I find that /etc/resolv.conf is not updated when ppp
connects.  Ie. two nameserver addresses are in /etc/ppp/resolv.conf
but /etc/resolv.conf remains empty and names are not
resolved.

I'm baffled.  I've never changed a script under /etc/ppp/.
Can anyone suggest what might be preventing the update
of /etc/resolv.conf or mention a log which will shed some light?

Thanks,             ... Peter E.

http://carnot.yi.org/