Re: How to install subsequent kernel than linux-image-2.6.18 on debian way?

Wed, 26 Dec 2007 16:39:51 +0100 keltezéssel s. keeling azt írta:

> Paul Csanyi <csanyipal@gmail.com>:
>>
>>  My system is Debian Etch, with linux-image-2.6.18-5-686 SMP.
>>
>>  I want to upgrade my kernel, but in the repository can't find
>>  subsequent linux-image.
>
> You are aware that Debian Stable kernels are continuously updated with
> security patches, yes?  Is there other functionality you need in later
> kernels?

I have ASUS P5N-E SLI NVIDIA motherboard, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU and MSI
nVidia NX7600GT videocard.

When I use nvidia driver, the X Window freeze and I can only to reset my
PC box.

I search for solution and find here advices, but not the solution:

I did the following from there:
boot the system with pci=nommconf idle=poll maxcpus=1 kernel parameters
I edit the grub/menu.lst like:
# kopt=root=/dev/md2 ro pci=nommconf idle=poll maxcpus=1

Is it OK?
I don't know how to make certain that these parameters are set up indeed?

I edit xorg.conf like in the Section "Device":
Option  "NvAGP"   "0"
to see if this eliminates the instability, but did not.

So, my system crash frequently. I hope so that I can somehow to solve
this problem.

--
Regards, Paul Csanyi