Re: ppp set up

On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 04:58:13PM +0100, jamesfoster wrote:
> The ppp program seems to now be installed but not configured.
>
> When I go to 'Network settings' I can now see a modem connection but
> it says the interface ppp0 is not configured.
>
> I go to 'properties' and 'modem' and click on 'auto detect' but get
> the message that no modem could be detected.
>
> The icon 'OK' at the bottom of the network pages is not active.
>
> What can I do now?

First, you need to know to which /dev/ttyS? your modem is connected.
Mine is external connected to the one and only serial port on my box so
its easily ttyS0.  If you are connected via a USB-Serial dongle,
presumably syslog will tell you something when you plug it in.  If it is
built-in, perhaps dmesg will tell you.

Then, install pppconfig, read the docs and man page, and use it to set
up a modem config.  After that, you turn on the internet with pon
provider (unless you provide another provider name) and turn it off with
poff (unless there is more than one pppd running then you have to
specify the provider).

Presumably, once you get this far, there will be a way to link this to
whatever "network settings" is.  Sounds like a Desktop Environment
pointy-clicky-lindows gimmick.

Good luck.

Doug.