adept updater problem in updating kernel in etch

When adept notifier notifies update for kernel, I used it to update
kernel. For last few times when ever kernel update is done, after
downloading it hangs. When I click details, i get the following
message.
"
The kernel version running is the same as the one being installed.
You are attempting to install a kernel version that is the same as the
version you are currently running (version 2.6.18-5-k7). The modules
list is quite likely to have been changed, and the modules dependency
file /lib/modules/2.6.18-5-k7/modules.dep needs to be re-built. It can
not be built correctly right now, since the module list for the
running kernel are likely to be different from the kernel installed. I
am creating a new modules.dep file, but that may not be correct. It
shall be regenerated correctly at next reboot.         I repeat: you
have to reboot in order for the modules file to be created correctly.
Until you reboot, it may be impossible to load some modules. Reboot as
soon as this install is finished (Do not reboot right now, since you
may not be able to boot back up until installation is over, but boot
immediately after). I can not stress that too much. You need to reboot
soon."
But I can't respond in details. Hence hanging.
Then I have to reboot and do
dpkg --configure -a
apt-get -f install.
Here I agree and respond to question in terminal.
Then things become normal.
Any solutions please for normal working in adept also.
--
L.V.Gandhi
http://lvgandhi.tripod.com/