Re: ftell, fgetpos, etc.

On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 06:09:54PM +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> I need to write code that creates, reads, and writes a random-access binary
> file, said binary file to be readable and writable on several machines,
> which may have different byte sex, but will certainly have different
> native word size (32 vs 64 bit).  Addresses of positions in the file
> *will* have to be written into the file.
>
> The machines on which this software will have to run presently use
> Debian or Debian-derived Linux distributions. (386, AMD64, maemo).
>
> Now I know how to handle different byte sex (use shifts and masks to
> decompose data and recompose it in the chosen file-format -- anyone have a
> metter method?).
>
> What I don't know is how to seek around the file in a machine-independent
> manner, and avoid future headaches.
>
> I can certainly hack up something that works for now, and will have to be
> replaced if the files to be handled ever get huge.  But I'd like to know
> if there's a recommended way of doing it.
>
> As far as I can tell, the two regimes available are
>
> (a) use fgetpos and fsetpos
>   This will presumably do random access to anything the machine's file
>   system will handle, but the disk address I get from fgetpos are
>   unliky to be usable on another system.
> (b) use ftell and fseek
>   Now these will solve the problem as long as my files stay small.
>   They provide byte counts from the start of the file, which are
>   semantically independent of the platform, but are just long int, which,
>   last I heard, was 32 bits almost everywhere (and, because of the sign
>   bit are limited to 31 bits in practise).
>
> Is there something else available?  Is there another way to use the tools
> I have already mentioned?  Is there a clean way to move to 64-bit
> relatively system-independent disk addresses?  Is there a standard way?

To me, a huge file is one which is too big to just load into memory
to facilitate the random access.  To do random access on a huge file,
the speed limit will be the drive access rather than any algorithm you
choose, or language for that matter.

To be machine independant yet have a pointer always longer than 32 bits,
you'll have to write or import a mult-integer data type so that, for
example, if you decide that you need a 128-bit integer (for future
growth), then you have a function that handles them, then the file seek
sections take that to work on, using your imported library to do any
math required.

However, for current OSs, I think the filesystem is limited to 64 bits
for both 32-bit and 64-bit versions (at least in linux for ext2/3).

In any event, this is trivial to set up with a language that is more
machine independant than standard C.  If I were you, I'd prototype it in
Python and if it wasn't computationally fast enough, I'd re-implement it
in Ada.

My answer is vague since your info is a bit vague.  What is the purpose
of this and what are the parameters.

Doug.