Re: Anyone using Debian on notebook?

[This message has also been posted to linux.debian.user.]
In article <9BMoP-7u4-23@gated-at.bofh.it>, Michael Pobega wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 04:21:06PM +0000, Andr=E9 C=E9sar de S=E1 wrote:
>> I've been using Debian on my Dell Latitude D520.
>>=20
>> Everything is working almost properly.. I'm just having problems with
>>  - USB mouse(only works if I disable touchpad)
>>  - Intel Wireless system(simply can't install IPW3945)
> For the ipw3945, enable the contrib and non-free reposotories in your
> sources.list and do "apt-get install firmware-ipw3945 ipw3945d
> ipw3945-modules-`uname -r`".

I recently built an external USB drive Debian Etch for a friend's
Compaq Presario 1500.  Nice 1440x1024 display.  It's too old to
boot USB and I wasn't allowed to touch the internal drive, so
had to make a syslinux CD for booting.

Cardbus slot works with Orinoco Silver (Lucent Hermes 1) wifi
but not with known good hardware modems from 3Com/Megahertz
and Best Data.  Hotplug/udev sees the card but we can't find the
serial ports on it.  What do you use for that?  cu -l/dev/ttyS?
gives unhelpful and misleading errors.  (line in use, busy,
no such device, all at once.)  KPPP "can't initialize" the modem.

There's a Connexant soft modem on an internal mini-PCI card.
There's no serial port on the back panel but Linux thinks there's
a ttyS0 there.  My friend will be stuck on MS-Windows until
we solve this.  I have limited access to the machine because
she uses it all the time.  Will try again after xmas.
Maybe spring for the commercial Connexant driver.

So you never know what's gonna work on J. Random Laptop.

Cameron