From: Freddy Freeloader <fredddy@cableone.net>
To: Debian User <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 16, 2007 10:22:09 PM
Subject: Re: CGI Scripts, Apache 2.2.3, and Debian 4.0 R1

Jon D. Irish wrote:
> I have a clean install of Debian 4.0 R1 with Apache 2.2.3-4 installed. I can not get cgi scripts to execute from the website. I have researched the Apache site and tried both of the following:
>
> 1) Under apache2.conf, I added
>    <Directory /var/www/cgi-bin >
>      Options +ExecCGI
>      AddHandler cgi-script .cgi .pl
>    </Directory>
>
> 2) Under httpd.conf, I added
> #
> # ScriptAlias: This controls which directories contain server scripts.
> # ScriptAliases are essentially the same as Aliases, except that
> # documents in the realname directory are treated as applications and
> # run by the server when requested rather than as documents sent to the client.
> # The same rules about trailing "/" apply to ScriptAlias directives as to
> # Alias.
> #
> ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/var/www/cgi-bin/"
> #
> # "/var/www/cgi-bin" should be changed to whatever your ScriptAliased
> # CGI directory exists, if you have that configured.
> #
> <Directory "/var/www/cgi-bin">
>        AllowOverride None
>        Options Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks
>        Order deny,allow
>        Deny from all
>        Allow from 192.168.1
> </Directory>
>
> Neither of these has allowed my cgi scripts to run. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?
>
> Sincerely,
> Jon
>

>      ____________________________________________________________________________________
> Looking for last minute shopping deals?
> Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.   http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping

This may be a stupid question, but did you enable the cgi module by
creating a symbolic link from /etc/apache2/mods-enabled to
/etc/apache2/mods-available and install the appropriate php4/php5-cgi
package or the libapache-mod-fastcgi depending on your usage?  Without
doing those two things pache won't/can't load the cgi module.

There are also some libcgi packages for perl and a couple of other
languages too, but I'm not familiar with them as I've never had occasion
to use them.