Keyboard Problem

I recently installed the k7-SMP debian kernel and after
rebooting the ps/2 keyboard stopped working.
Remotely via ssh I can login and everything is working fine. I
then went back to the generic 386 kernel I had before and the
keyboard works fine.
There is a some convoluted history that I should mention. This
machine is a dual processsor athlon system (hence the need for
k7-SMP). The original drive in the machine died, and I
replaced it with a drive that already had a fresh install of
debian 3.1 on it.
The drive is a backup drive for some k6-2 machines I have.
They're still running 3.1. The drive had just Base installed
on it, no extra X or gnome packages, etc. These machines have
drive trays, with only the OS on /dev/hda, so if the drive
failed, I could just pop in a backup drive, edit a few config
files, apt-get a few programs and the box was back in service.
After installing the drive in the dual athlon, I updated 3.1
to the latest 3.1 (oldstable), then upgraded it to 4.0. The
upgrade went well, except it was running the default debian
kernel 2.6.8-2-386. That's when I installed the debian
2.6.18-5-k7-smp kernel, and lost my keyboard. I can boot the
previous kernel and my keyboard works.
My upgrade was:
apt pointed to oldstable:
apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade

apt pointed to stable:
apt-get update
apt-get install aptitude
(which also pulled down a new libc6, and a few others)
aptitude -f --with-recommends dist-upgrade
(hotplug was removed, and udev installed)

Rebooted, etc everything good, I then installed k7-smp and
lost the keyboard.