How to Configure Aptitude for Update Archive Compression Types?

I'm experiencing an issue with aptitude regarding archive compression types during update. Currently, I have two installed systems (etch stable) that retrieve different update archive types. One system retrieves Packages.bz2 , where the other system retrieves Packages.gz during 'aptitude update' (discovered using apt-get --print-uris update). Unfortunately, the *.bz2 archives are producing an md5sum mismatch error on one system, but the *.gz archives do not. Where can I configure apt/aptitude to update using a specific archive type for update/install (*.bz2 or *.gz), and why does one system request updates via Packages.bz2, while the other does it using Packages.gz? I have not configured either system in any particular way for archive updates, and they both point at the same repos for updates and installs. I've looked both through documentation and lists, with no answers to this issue. Assistance is much appreciated.

TIA