Re: Cannot install skype

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 16:47:39 +0200
"Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

> I cannot install skype:

> dpkg: error processing skype_1.4.0.118-1_i386.deb (--install):
>  package control info rmdir of `usr' didn't say not a dir:
> Directory not empty Errors were encountered while processing:
>  skype_1.4.0.118-1_i386.deb
>
> Do I need to remove a directory? Which one? Thanks in advance.

This is what I think happened: During uninstalling a package, dpkg first removes all files that belong to that package and then all package-related directories. If one of those dirs isn't empty now, it means that since the original install some files have been added to one of the directories. Dpkg assumes that you had some good reasons to put those files there and therefore doesn't want to silently purge them with the directory.

Anyway, it's no big deal. Use "locate skype" to find all Skype-related dirs (assuming they all have "skype" in their name) and rm -r them by hand. Then try installing the new package.

Maybe there's some advanced, brute-force and possibly dangerous option to dpkg that forces an install. Just wait a bit for more suggestions on this list.

--D.