Re: Streaming video

Keith Bates wrote:

> For some reason I have problems downloading video clips from most
> mainstream news providers.
>
> For example on the front page of www.smh.com.au there is a picture at
> the moment of a mouse fearlessly staring down a cat. This picture links
> to a Windows Media clip.
>
> When i clikc on the picture (using either Iceweasel or Opera 9.5) the
> following happens
>
> 1. It opens the video page which helpfully tells me "Detecting video
> settings"
>
> 2. The gxine browser plug-in starts.
>
> 3. It flashes up the URL of the clip, but pressing the play button
> doesn't do anything.
>
> 4. If I copy the URL into the "Open MRL" dialog, nothing happens.
>
> I've had similar results on other news sites such as bbc.co.uk as well
> as the other video clips at smh.com.au
>
> Would some knowledgeable person be able to tell me how to configure the
> browsers/ plugins to make this work properly?
>

> Thanks

Hi Keith,
First question: 32 or 64 bit system? If the latter, I don't know. Using FFx
2.0.0.11 on Debian Lenny I can watch the mouse video. On your Iceweasel
type about:plugins in the navigation bar. You should see something like
this:
Windows Media Player Plugin

    File name: mplayerplug-in-wmp.so
    mplayerplug-in 2007/1/7
followed by a long table of Mime Types.
The site you mention is  slow so you'll have to wait a while. If you don't
see what I've given above then you'll need to install a Windows Media
Player Plugin on your Iceweasel. I assume if it works in Firefox it should
work in Iceweasel since only the logo and name are different, right?
Cheers,
Jonathan