network modules loading?

Hello,
Newbie to Debian. I've got a 4.0 system with two nics in it, one a realtek 8139, the other a 3com 3c905. One is configured via dhcp, the other will be via static. I read that /etc/modules contains the names of kernel drivers loaded at boot. I checked this file expecting to see the names of the nic modules, all i saw is loop for the loopback device, yet the nics are loaded. Checking lsmod i see the modules, mii, 3c59x, and 8139too. Where are they loading from?
Thanks.
Dave.