Re: OT: clicky keyboards

David Brodbeck <brodbd@u.washington.edu> writes:
> "Ergonomic" is not a word I'd use to describe the computers and
> terminals I'm familiar with from the late 70s.  Most had truly awful
> keyboards.  The Apple II, TRS-80, and VT-100 all had keyboards that
> just hit bottom, plastic-on-plastic, with no tactile feedback at  all.
> I found it very hard to type quickly on those machines.

I agree the Apple II and TRS-80 keyboards were crap, but I have very
fond memories of hacking on the VT-100.  I guess the keyboard feel
wasn't all that great compared to a model-m or something, but there was
just something very nice about the whole package (the keyboard _shape_,
and key layout on the VT-100, for instance, were great)...

Unfortunately VT-100s don't seem to age very gracefully -- even in the
late '80s, it was getting very hard to find one in good condition.

-Miles

--
In New York, most people don't have cars, so if you want to kill a person, you
have to take the subway to their house.  And sometimes on the way, the train