Re: Problem installing local package

Edward C. Jones wrote:
> I am installing Debian on a new hard drive I bought. I have a PC with
> an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ chip. I installed Debian stable (4.0) amd64
> port. I updated it to unstable. I put "xv-doc_3.10a-1duo1_all.deb" and
> "xv_3.10a-1duo+etch1_amd64.deb" into "/usr/local/src/debian". The file
> /etc/apt/sources.list contains the line:
>
>   deb file:/usr/local/src/ debian/
>
> "apt-get install xv" failed. Does anyone know what I did wrong?

If all you want to do is install two packages, why not just run

dpkg -i <package_file>

on each?

To make your own local package repository, you need to do more than just
specify the path to some .deb files in your sources.list.  The
repository itself has a structure that must be adhered to for apt to
work properly.  For example, check out http://http.us.debian.org/debian/
in your web browser.  There are tools out there that'll let you build
your own repository, but I've given you about the extent of my knowledge
on the subject.

--John