Re: SSH - Relay?

On 12/08/2007 11:37 AM, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> There are times when I'm at a client's system and I need to access my
> home computer to tell it to resend data or do something similar so I've
> just ssh'ed in to my home computer from outside.

> I don't want to go into issues with my current ISP, but I would like to
> switch to Verizon FiOS for a number of reasons.  I'd rather not have to
> pay the extra for a static IP and the ability to run a web server.

> The one issue with Verizon is that I see in their ToS that I can't run
> any kind of server on my account and I know they block at least port
> 80.  I don't plan to use port 80, but if I lost the ability to ssh into
> my home computer, it'd hurt in terms of extra on-sight trips.

> If that can't be done, I'm open to other suggestions.

Hal, You may find some useful help on this fios forum:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiber

I've found their rcn forum helpful; for example, rcn also has a
no-server clause, but ssh seems to be ok, at least for me and others.
The ISPs are really worried about web and ftp hosting, imo.

Good luck
Ralph