Re: file server admin.

Michelle Konzack wrote:
Am 2007-12-04 12:02:44, schrieb David:
Greetings all.

I'm about to attempt configuring my first ever file server.
It's based on an old HP E200 with three equally old SATA drives.

I've done package searches on package descriptions and got a plethora of package names that may or may not have application to the situation.

Has anybody got a recommendation for a gui that would help a new user set up and allocate file/group permissions?

It will have to interface with window machines also.

After installing the Debian-base (NOT MORE) do an

    apt-get install samba swat samba-doc

which will install a Windows compatible fileserver...

Administration is done directly over a Webinterface using "swat"

Note:  If you install only the bare minimum, you need around 400 MByte
       of diskspace and it is easy and fast to do backups...

ATTENTION:  Please read the documentation for samba.

Thanks for that, Michelle.