Installation help

Hope this is the right mailing list to send this to... if it's not,
point me to the right one please.

It's been a number of years since I have worked with linux, so some
items I believe to be true are not necessarily the case. Keep that in
mind when I say something asinine.

I am installing the latest stable version of Debian (40rl) and am
having an issue with how it's seeing my primary HD.

It's set up as the master on the primary IDE chain, which to me
signifies that it should be seen as IDE1, or HDA. However, the
partitioner is picking it up as IDE5 (hde). Which posses no problems
for me until the installation is completed, as there is no /dev/hde.
You can imagine the problems this causes when it try's to mount root.

Any idea's how to get around this issue?