On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 03:47:12AM +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Do you realy need 15 partitions on a singel drive?

in some cases it's possible (see below).

However that was not my point: my point in that post was that if I have
to look at a disk that someone gives me [or some old disk of mine, of
the pre-lvm era], and it contains a partition hda16, and I must put it
in a USB external enclosure, then the only thing I see to mount such a
drive is to use the "offset" parameter of mount. And udev (or anything
else I know) is of no help: that was the point of that post.

When one might want to use more than 15 partitions? When using many
vservers/openvz/jails/zones/chroot or the like, and one wants to
separate things (operating system from data, and each vserver from the
other ones), types of filesystems (on Linux: news or mail spool might be
on reiser, operating system on ext3, huge data on xfs, ...), mounting
options for suitable directories (noexec, nosuid, nodev, where
applicable) ...