GNOME and Power Management

Greetings,

    I'm having a very annoying trouble with GNOME Power Management.I
usually keep the setting to never put the display to sleep. However,
it doesn't work. As soon as I log in, the setting is there. However,
if the computer is let idle for some time, the monitor goes to sleep.
However, when I open the Power Management Preferences and slide the
cursor away from the "Never" setting and back to it, the setting
sticks and then it works.

    Has anyone else had this problem? i'm not sure if it's a GNOME
issue or something deeper.

    I'd appreciate any insight.

Thanks,
Francisco