Re: OT: clicky keyboards

Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> writes:

> I"ve been typing on mine for a couple hours now and it's
> fantastic. The sound takes me back. And once you adjust to an
> ever-so-slightly-different key spacing, it's a breeze. I swear I'm
> typing faster with fewer mistakes. And definitely less fatigue.
>
> Finding an old one lying around would definitely be a score.

A couple of years ago my wife wandered into the local school district
clearinghouse (or whatever it is called, but it is the place where the
school board used to get rid of old stuff) and found a big box full of
old model M IBM clicky keyboards.  She brought home four or five for
just about as many dollars.  And several of them were the pre-lexmark
actual IBMs.  Of course, the school district stopped selling stuff like
that not long after, so I never got anymore.

Maybe other areas have a similar situation, with school districts
selling their old equipment cheap.  For those looking for this kind of
deal it might be worth it to make some calls and see what the local
government does with their stuff.  It sure beats that Belkin at
Wal-Mart.

Patrick