Re: apt-get mirrors

On 12/5/07, Iuri Sampaio <iuri.sampaio@gmail.com> wrote:

>      deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
>      deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US etch/non-US main contrib

There hasn't been a non-us repository in debian for quite some time.
As such, I would simply remove that second line entirely.

You may have better luck substituting ftp for http in your sources
list lines for debian as well.

> non-free
>      deb http://security.debian.org etch/updates main contrib non-free

If you want things to succeed, I don't think you can have a 'non-free'
line standing by itself like that; precede it with a '#' (comment).

>      deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
>      deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US etch/non-US main contrib
> non-free

Same comment applies - remove non-US.

> if there isn't anything wrong with mirrors, does anyone have a good one?
> iuri

Generally, if you're not in the US, then change it to the mirror for
your home country. There is a list of mirrors but I'm not familiar
with them - or if some are markedly better in throughput than others
and just as complete and updated (that helps as well).

Back in the days when I was running Mandrake (aka Mandriva) I would
tend to use either a norwegian or swedish mirror - those gave good
throughput, as fast as my 1.5 mbps dsl link could handle. But I
normally would do updates when I got home from work, which would be
about 6-7PM Pacific time, and as such in the wee hours of the morning
at the ftp site - so less traffic.