Re: Preferred Backup Method?

On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 03:22:48PM -0800, David Brodbeck wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2007, at 2:01 PM, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>> Seriously though, I use rdiff-backup and cron jobs to pull backups of
>> critical data and /etc using pub-key ssh authentication to make the
>> connections. I have no bare-metal restoration plan, just reinstall,
>> install packages, recover data and /etc and roll on.
>
> What's your experience with rdiff-backup been?  When I tried it I found it
> way too fragile to be a viable backup solution.  If the backup was
> interrupted for any reason, it would corrupt the history data, and all
> future backup or restore attempts in that directory would cause
> rdiff-backup to crash.  Also, it had the usual Python error recovery
> problems -- whenever an error occurred the actual error message was buried
> somewhere in a gargantuan stack trace.

I had a handful of problems in the beginning when I had a couple of
really large files in it that were being changed. Essentially I was
running out of room and it didn't handle it very gracefully. Other
than that, though, I've had no problems. In fact, I had to go check my
logs and see because I haven't heard a peep out of those cronjobs in a
long time.

I agree though... when it has problems it can be a little tricky and
it does seem sort of fragile, but I've been happy with it.