Re: What's the best way to upgrade java??

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 05:52:11 -0800 (PST)
Angus Auld <aonghas_auld@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am new to Debian, and I'm wondering what is the
> *best*
> way for me to upgrade my java to version 6?
> Is it ok to get the relavent pkgs from testing (lenny)
> and
> install them from a folder using "dpkg -i *.deb"?

Since its dependencies are most likely installed on all systems, this
approach may work, however...

> I am used to rpm based Linux (Mandriva), and I could
> install rpms with a similar method using "urpmi *.rpm"
> Would it be safe to add a lenny repository to
> Synaptic,
> and upgrade only my java pkgs??

...instead of Lenny repository I suggest backports.org. The packages
there are specifically made for Etch.

> I have the testing version of "java-package" (0.37)
> installed,
> so yet another method would be to create the updated
> java using the java6 from sun (make-jpkg).

> TIA, best regards.
>
> PS. I am running Dreamlinux, which is Debian Etch4
> based.
> My kernel version is "2.6.18.1-kanotix-1".

Should not be a problem in this case.

> -- Angus
>
> ######Linux Laptop powered by Debian Linux######
> ###########Reg. Linux User #278931###########

> Be a better friend, newshound, and

Szia:
		Nyizsa.

Finally - A spam blocker that actually works.
http://www.bluebottle.com/tag/4