On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 01:24:16AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > I also dubt that udev will ever be able to do anything useful, but I
> > cannot be sure since for my good luck I do not use it.
> udev is very important to modern SCSI-heavy kernels, since the SCSI
> subsystem has always had the irksome habit of renaming existing
> devices if a new devices is added.

yes, this is useful. But for mounting drives this is also solved without
udev by mounting filesystems by labels, uuids [or by lvm devices since
it is very likely that one uses LVM evms or similar on scsi drives,
since (apart other advantages of LVM/evms) the limit sda1 to sda15 for
scsi devices].

Once I hoped that udev would be able to circunvent that limitation (and
so monut partitions >15 in large ide discs attached to an external USB
enclosure without using the tricky "offset" parameter of mount). By it
seems that such hope was wrong.