Re: Mounting a USB Mass Storage Device

 Is the vfat module loaded? You might want to check the filesystem
 type with "file -s /dev/sdb1". Also are you able to access the files
 on any other system? If the data on the usb drive is not important,
 then try formatting it. "mkdosfs /dev/sdb1" will create a fat16
 filesystem while mke2fs will create an ext2 partition.

Thanks a lot! I learned quite a lot this weekend, :-).

Summary of mistakes:
(1) I wanted to mount a wrong device (sda1 instead of sdb1).
(2) Did not have the vfat module and the usb_storage module loaded.

Cheers

Sam