Re: dmcrypt on an existing partition (firewire external disk)

On Sat, Dec 01, 2007 at 07:21:26PM +0100, Andrew Henry wrote:
> Sorry Andrew for double post...when I hit reply it goes to you and not the
> list, so I have now resent the mail to the list... for the second time!

The proper thing to do is Reply-to-List. I read the list and don't
need a copy sent to me directly. You are using Thunderbird -- there is
a plugin/extension for Reply-to-List. Check the archives here for
mention of it, or just poke around at mozilla.

>  Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>
>     I honestly don't know. There *has* to be some performance hit because
>     the data gets mangled before hitting the disk. I don't *notice* any
>     performance hit on my laptop.
>

> You just gave me an idea to try this on the laptop itself.  I had used scp to
> copy a file from another laptop to the newly encrypted usb disk, but I can do
> the same operation to the usb disks host laptop to see if there is a problem
> with the disk somehoe or with the software.  I have not had a single issue with
> performance in the 2 years I have had this setup and now the only thing that
> changed is encrypting the usb disk.  Note that my server laptop is also fully
> encrypted and there were no issues with performance of the unencrypted usb disk
> before I changed it.

Yes, eliminating the scp (and any other variables) would be a good
thing to narrow down this problem.

>         Can the "terminal loses focus: copy
>         suspends" behaviour be fixed?  I have not tested read performance yet,
>         but I expect and hope that it will be more normal.
>

>     I would say you've got something messed up there.
>

> Yeah, and another thing I noticed is that when copying if I move the mouse
> pointer then it sticks every now and again for a second or so.  Whether this is
> due to overloaded processor or an indication of some kind of wait event I do
> not know.
>
> I am running Debian Etch 4.0r1 which I installed last week.  before that I was
> running Ubuntu 7.10 desktop without encryption.
>
> I think I need to do some more testing then do some googling etc.

yup. I wouldn't be afraid of wiping the drive and trying again as
well.