Re: please help about etch

On Fri, 2007.11.30 16:22, chloe K wrote:
>    2/ I follow the link
>    http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/ch-common-tasks.html to compile
>    the kernel. 2.6.18
>
>    final step dpkg -i ../linux-image-2.6.18_custom.1.0_i386.deb is ok too
>
>    When i boot up the new kernel, it said
>
>    cannot open root device "hda3" or unknow-block(0,0)
>    please append a correct "root"=boot option
>    kernel panic
>
>    I only change one to support large memory, other remains unchange
>    What wrong I did?

It seems that you did not use the --initrd option of make-kpkg, which will
cause an initrd to be created when the kernel package is installed (and grub
will add the initrd line).

For this custom kernel you've already built and installed, you should be able
to run "update-initramfs -ck 2.6.18" (You may need the "_custom.1.0" here too)
and then "update-grub" to fix the problem.