Re: FreeAgent USB HDD

joseph lockhart wrote:
The new seagate usb hard drives spin down after aprox
3 min, this then causes the computer to get a
"waiting" response that it interperates as a bad
device while the device spins back up, but being
logged as a bad device it will not let you access the
drive. basically you need to clear the log so that it
doesn't show up as a bad device, and then write a
script to touch the drive every two minutes or so

hope that helps

jwlockhart

Registered Linux User #458799
this user is penguin powered

Thanks for that info Joseph - I wasn't aware that they did that. Certainly doesn't mention that in the booklet that came with the drive. Interestingly enough however, I can click the desktop icon, and the file will open up suggesting that from my machine's perspective, the drive is still mounted and operational. Or have I completely misunderstood how these things work?

Cheers

Andy