Re: How does GMail know I use Firebug extension in Iceweasel?

On Nov 28, 2007 6:17 PM, Raj Kiran Grandhi <grajkiran@gmail.com> wrote:

> It offers a couple of option to disable/configure it. However what I
> find disturbing is how gmail 'knows' what extensions I have installed on
> my machine. Is there a bug in iceweasel/firefox that leaks out some
> information on extensions to the remote servers?

It is definitely possible to detect some/many of a user's extensions.
In fact, not long ago someone released code to block users with the
adblock extension.  Here is some more info:
http://ha.ckers.org/blog/20060823/detecting-firefox-extentions/
http://www.ush.it/2007/10/11/detect-noscript-poc/

--
swk