Re: apache2 freezes @sarge

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 11:11:39 +0100
Miro Dietiker <miro.dietiker.maillist@md-systems.ch> wrote:

> Hi list
>
> I trapped into an apache2 freeze thing (debian sarge, apache2
> libapache2-mod-php4)
>
> After certain time (from few minutes to many hours) apache simply
> freezes. Freeze meaning here: Processes still present but no
> processing time on  them. Each request is not responded but queued
> (showing status bar till  timeout).
>
> When i restart apache2 anything is fine again - at least for some
> minutes.
>
> Trying to trace it down to some buggy script execution i checked
> logs  and found nothing similar between those events.
> This is a live installation and we're suffering... System load at
> ~1.0  .. 2.0
> The issue started at one specific day, where we didn't change
> anything  by intention. Replacing the whole hardware also didn't
> help.
>
> Is there someone to show me ways to debug this issue or any idea?!
>
> (Personal contacts also apreciated.)
> I'm happy to hear any input about this one.
>
> --
> Miro Dietiker

I had the same problem on a machine with a new Etch install of
Apache 2 and PHP5.  For a week I struggled with the problem and it
finally came down to the php5-clamav module while already running
clamav on the machine.  Since you're running PHP4 though, I don't
know.

For my problem, there was nothing I could find in any of the logs,
and Apache would freeze at varying minutes/hours after it had been
restarted.  I removed Apache modules but the problem persisted.  I
ran memtest86+ on my memory modules, but the problem persisted.  And
Google was not my friend.  Finally, since I'd tested everything in
the machine and I'd removed all unnecessary Apache modules, to no
avail, I started on PHP modules that weren't critical.  That's how I
found my problem.

I'm sorry not to be much help, but I wish you luck.  ;-)

--
Raquel
Our values are defined by what we will tolerate when it is done to