Re: [OT] Re: How do you make your life secure (software based)?

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 08:37:09 -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 11/28/07 03:48, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > To end my my rant: the German minister of Interior Politics recently
> > said to critics that he agrees with them in that there is a "red line"
> > which lawmakers should not cross in the "fight against terrorism". This
> > line is drawn by our constitution. But, he said, if this line stops him
> > from doing what he thinks is necessary, one can still change the
> > constitution.
> >
> > So much for his loyalty to our constitution.
>
> How difficult is it to amend the German constitution?

You need to pass a law for amendment of the constitution with a 2/3
majority in both houses of the German parliament.

However, there are certain protected principles which cannot be
abolished: Federalism, and the principles of Article 1 ("The dignity of
man is inviolable. To respect and protect it is the duty of all state
authority.") and Article 20 (realization of a democratic and social
federal state; separation of legislative, executive and judicial powers;
the right of all Germans to resist anyone who is trying to abolish the
constitutional order). These guarantees are part of Article 79, which
does not declare itself to be immutable, so it might technically not be
unconstitutional to first remove these guarantees from Article 79 and
then to revoke some of the principle rights.

          Florian   |