Apache redirects

I am using apache 1.3 on a debian etch system with a 2.6 kernel. I have www root redirected from a file in conf.d. I am currently using a symlink in the redirected root to direct a php file to a different directory in /var/www/ and I would rather use httpd.conf to do this.

Although I am pretty sure that I can use the file in conf.d, that file is used on other systems for a particular software program that do not have this php file.

I have tried using an Alias and I get   “401 Authorization Required”

Alias /file.php /var/www/directory/file.php

And a rewrite rule gets me a file not found error

RewriteRule /file.php /var/www/directory/file.php [R]

So do I have the right idea and the wrong syntax or is this even possible?

BTW, I did try sending this email to the apache users group (users@httpd.apache.org, but got no response.

Thanks

Tony