Re: Install Question

JLC: don't top post and keep replies to the list.  I've tried to
reorganize this somewhat.

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 07:19:36AM -0700, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> Hi,

> Well it is actually a generic question. But one case in mind is the
> onboard SATA controller for an Intel SE7525RP2 motherboard. It is
> configured as a strip (Cant change this) but when I attempt to load
> Linux on it, it sees both HD's individually? Now I know there is no
> Debian specific driver but it was the most recent run-in with this
> issue I had.

That on board controller is fake raid.  It never does raid.  It allows
you to setup raid for the windows software raid driver.  Since this
isn't windows, Debian (and OpenBSD, probably NetBSD and FreeBSD) will
see the individual drives.  On Debian if you want raid, use software
raid.  If you want stripes (non-redundant) you can either use raid0 or
LVM.

What other hardware is of concern?

Doug.