Re: removing kde

On Nov 26, 2007, at 11:23 PM, steve wrote:

Kumar Appaiah wrote:
On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 09:01:09PM -0600, lostson wrote:
I have install debian stable with kde and am wanting to remove kde completely and install gnome. Is this possible ? and if so how ? I have been googling
trying to find a way with no luck thanks.

In most cases, KDE packages depend on kdebase, IIRC. So, removing
kdebase should remove most KDE packages. apt-get remove kdebase.

HTH.

Kumar

or, in synaptic, search for kde, it will find "kde" desktop manager,
click the box that has an x in it, then apply. this will remove all the
bloat associated with kde as well.  to install gnome do the same.
search for gnome, find gnome desktop manager, select it, apply. it will
install everything you need.

Neat.

Is there an equivalent trick in aptitude?

Thanks!

Rick