Re: no x version

On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 01:31:42AM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 05:11:42PM -0500, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 24, 2007 at 12:33:46AM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:

> > > But what the title of mail say "no x", that is difficult.  There will be
> > > some X client libraries: libx11-6, libxaw7, libxext6, libxext6, libxmu6,
> > > libxpm4, libxt6 which are small and OK to have.  The manpages (man-db)
> > > require groff and groff require these.
> >
> > Why is that?
>
> Because it is small memory foot print which groff maintaner thought OK.
>
> See groff(1) under -X option.  Thos command serves as X client thus
> required X library.  If you create patch to dynamically load library if
> it exists, this dependency may be remeved.  But currently, iy is not the
> case as I see it,

The memory footprint is one thing, but the drive space is another.  It
seems stupid that one would have to have all those libs installed just
to be able to read man pages.

To the OP:  if you want a totally simple text-only, try OpenBSD.  Note
that they made a goof for 4.2 (to be fixed when 4.2 comes out in 5
months) whereby to compile ports you need to have the X set installed
(for one file: you can unpack the tarball somewhere, copy the file, and
ditch the rest).  OBSD works great on my 486 with 32 MB ram and takes
somewhat less than 512 MB of drive space.

Doug.