windows won't boot anymore after installation of debian

Hello,

A friend of mine tried to resize his windows partition using partition magic
and then proceeded to install fedora (don't know the version but with kernel
2.6.5) which complained about some problem and after the installation when grub
came up it showed an unknown os and would boot it, booted fine into fedora.

I later dumped fedora and installed debian (testing from the netinst cd) for
him, which he is rather happy with, although he still needs his windows
partition for the moment for some word documents.

I tried booting windows from the debian grub (which correctly recognized it as
window). For the first time it started booting (I killed it that time), and
later on it just got stuck when booting widows after showing

chainloader	+1

I tried downloading ntfsprogs and running ntfsfix and also made sure that it is
marked as bootable. The partition is still there and mountable.

any Idea what went wrong with the installation and how to fix it?

Thanks