Re: cupsd, hplip on demand?

* Kelly Clowers (2007-11-25):
> On Nov 24, 2007 9:41 AM, André Berger <andre.berger@web.de> wrote:
> > I'm on an Etch system with limited memory and CPU power, which I'm
> > trying to optimize in terms of software. The box acts a CUPS print
> > server with two queues, one raw queue and one HP PSC-1110 queue. The
> > HP AIO needs HPLIP to function.
> >
> > As we rarely print, I have already reniced cupsd and the hplip
> > processes to the max. But I would like to reduce the memory usage in
> > general as well.
> >
> > Is it possible to start these services on demand, instead keeping
> > them running all the time?
>
> I don't know about starting cups on demand, but the more recent
> versions of hplip are library-based instead of using a daemon. Hplip
> isn't in backports, but you could get it from the sourceforge site.

Thanks Kelly. There are quite a few dependencies, I will need some
time to figure out what I need. HP's own instructions are only
partially helpful when you are on Etch/PPC.

-André

--
May as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb!
Linkstation/KuroBox/HG/HS/Tera Kernel 2.6/PPC from <http://hvkls.dyndns.org>