Re: networking: fixed ip address and dhcp

John O Laoi wrote:
The problem is now with my networking
At home, I use dhcp  - no problem.
When I bring the laptop to work, I use fixed ip addressing.

I used to have a file which contained

ifconfig eth1 XXX.YYY.ZZZ.WWW  netmask 255.255.255.0
route add default gw  XXX.YYY.ZZZ.1
cat "seach <domain>"   >> /etc/resolv.conf
cat "nameserver  AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD"  >> resolv.conf

I think you meant 'echo' instead of 'cat', and 'search' instead of 'seach'. Also you seem to be appending to /etc/resolv.conf everytime. If that is the case, then the resolver is probably using some other search path somewhere in the beginning of the file. You might want to fix your script so that it overwrites the file instead.

which I would simply sudo when I get to work and I got my static ip
address networking to work.

This does not work now  - I can't ping out.
When I run ifconfig at the command line, it gives me the correct ip
address, and tells me that it is up.

Try pinging the gateway and dns machines using their ip addresses. That should atleast give you a hint whether you have basic network connectivity.

There probably is a better/easier way to configure a laptop for multiple networks, but I do not have any experience with that.

--
Raj Kiran Grandhi