Crontab doesn't run

Hi!

I've just installed a system with Debian Etch 4.0 and the crontabs which are edited by users will not be executed.

The cronjobs added by the root user, "crontab -e" will are executed as expected. Jobs added by a regular user, also using "crontab -e" are not executed. For testing puposes I just added a simple:

0-59 * * * * /bin/date >> /home/jan/date.txt

And for some reason it doesn't run. When I save the crontab I get the message "crontab: installing new crontab".

I also tried it by adding a username:

0-59 * * * * jan /bin/date >> /home/jan/date.txt

But it also fails and doesn't run.

Any ideas? Help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jan