Re: Re: xorg wont work and wont generate a log

Hi all,

I had this problem today as well, a new Sid install on a Thinkpad T42.
It turns out that one of the xserver-xorg packages at some point creates
this not-very-helpful symlink:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 2007-11-25 23:43 /etc/X11/X -> /bin/true

Quite irritating, but at least the fix is simple. For posterity:

(as root)
rm /etc/X11/X
ln -s /usr/bin/Xorg /etc/X11/X

If I had any idea what to file a bug report against ("dpkg
-S /etc/X11/X" yields nothing), I'd file it.

Looks like this is cropping up for a number of people. Keywords to help
future Googlers:

Debian xorg xinit: Server error

Steve